Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...no it's actually a plane!

Just got home from my children's class in Chappalla. Its hot out as usual but its also overcast, which means you dont actually realize you're getting any sun till you walk into the house and check your tan lines. Hah! Gotta love Panama! Lately I've been observing these really amazing images of people in Panama and the culture and I think some of them are worth sharing.For example, yesterday I shared with you all the image of hospitality I witnessed on an overcrowded bus.
---
Last week, I was riding a Diablo Rojo back from Arraijan and look to my left to see a woman breast feeding out in the open. She was sharing a seat with 2 other people and it didnt seem to bother anyone. It was so interesting! I mean its natural and we know its all part of the life cycle, but somehow I still dont think most Americans have wrapped their heads around this kinda stuff. Im pretty sure if I was sitting on the 271 and some lady straight up started breast feeding her baby, I might not mind, but Im almost positive some people would be shocked, and maybe even offended. Its just not a cultural norm. But why not!? Anyways thats just some food for thought. The picture Im excited to paint involved my kids from the Chappalla childrens class. But first Ill update you guys on the progress they've made and what we're up to in class.
---
So as we make our way through the forest to the little pink house, we wait for our kids to gather round to start the children's class and the pre-youth class. Usually they take place simultaneously but today, we only had two junior youth show up. To prevent the other Jr. Youth from falling behind, we decided to have the Jr. Youth review their homework and then continue to assist me in the children's class.

Man I could have really used the help with the 12 kids I had show up in Bello Amor! Regardless, we had a really great class.
---
My kids have basically nailed "O Dios Guiame" so I got them started on "Quien libra de las dificultades" and this week...THEY HAD IT DOWN! I was so proud. I mean at the beginning of class they still needed a bit of help, but by the time we were done say our prayers, each of them was able to recite it to me from memory! On to our canciones (songs), so the kids have basically memorized "We are drops" + hand motions, and it puts a smile on my face every time I stop singing along, and realize they dont actually really know the words, I mean obviously its in English so its a bit difficult, but you hear pieces here and there and thats enough for me! So I've decided to start teaching them "God is one" and my creative self has come up with some pretty sweet hand motions to help the kids memorize. I could swear, when I was going to Daystar EVERY song had some set of actions or hand movements. Lets just say this is my attempt at remembering some of them and the rest I improvise. But its great because it definitely helps them remember!
---
After prayers and songs, we read a story about Abdul-Baha and the kids completed a few masterpieces as usual. I love when they finish, because then I ask them to explain to me what they've drawn, and they are so on point about the messages they retain from the stories! A few rounds of juegos later and we were ready to finish class with a prayer. These kids make me so proud!
 ---
Now for the image I was hoping to impart on you all. As I was sitting, waiting for the rest of the gang to show up for class, we were visiting with their grandmother. I ofcourse cant understand a word of what she says but she is, how do I say this, the definition of a caregiver. She has a billion grand kids running around, cats, dogs, chickens, and monkeys! And somehow, she manages to find the energy to clean and keep up the house! But while we were visiting with her, three of the kids were sitting with us, 1 Jr. Youth and 2 kiddies. All of a sudden, I hear an airplane overhead and the kids freak out! Excited to catch a glimpse of the plane, they run off the porch and onto the dirt and run around in circles trying to see the plane through breaks in the canopy overhead. I realized, they probably have never been on a plane before, let alone, seen one up close. It was really amazing though. Such a small world we live in sometimes, and other times, its bigger than our wildest dreams!
---
Im sorry I couldnt help but to include this, but one of my girls really wanted to show me her bling! Isnt she gorgeous!
Thats all for now my friends! But hopefully I'll have more stories and mental images to paint for you all! Tomorrow I'm off to the Temple. I get to spend a whole day there, its gonna be nice to have some time there, pray, meditate, and just get some peace of mind. I can assure you, that you are all in my thoughts and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment